Thursday, January 22, 2009

It all comes back to Nirvana.

One of the initial reasons I picked up a guitar a decade ago was Kurt Cobain. Kurt Cobain and Nirvana open me up to world of new music and new ideas. Led Zeppelin and Rush were the music of my childhood, Nirvana helped launch me into the world of punk that would define a large of my teenage experience. Listening and playing along with Kurt laid down the fundamentals for my oddly coordinated and out of tune style that would come to power under the label of Scabies, a blur of disoriented chords that sought the greatness of the Pixies, Gregg Ginn, and, of course, Kurt.

In trying to define and recapture what music and what my instrument means today, I found myself going back to the beginning, to Nirvana. Not to the Nevermind or In Utero Nirvana of years past, but the raw Nirvana which was found on bootlegs like Outcestide. Songs like
"Sappy" and live versions of "School" and "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter." Listening to this Nirvana reminds me why I started listening and why I started to strum a six-string and why I'll continue to do both for years to come.